Your child will learn to read more easily if he or she already connects print with meaningful words. Help your child become aware of print. It’s easy! Print is everywhere!
- In story time today we played a game with a stop sign and a go sign. Point out signs—stop signs, the sign for the grocery store, McDonald’s, and so on. He will learn to associate the words with meaning.
- When you are reading to her, occasionally run your finger under the words, especially words that are repeated throughout the story.
- Your child can help you make a grocery list. As you find the items at the store, your child can put a line through that word on the list.
- Encourage your child to retell a story you have read to him. She can ‘read’ the book to favorite stuffed animals.
- Have fun! You are helping your child learn that print has meaning and teaching him or her an essential early literacy skill.